Monday 22 December 2014

Art of Criterion

Criterion have a new coffee table book out for Christmas, which showcases 30 years worth of artwork from their early laserdiscs to the latest Blus. I've always found Criterion art very hit and miss, but one design that has always stood out for me is the in-house artwork for Le Cercle Rouge. Interestingly this cover shares quite a strong resemblance to a book that emerged in 1966 entitled The Naked Society (a book about surveillance) published by Penguin imprint Pelican, and featuring a striking cover design by Derek Birdsall. I wonder did it prove an inspiration for the Criterion sleeve ? If it's mention in the Criterion book, I'd love to know !

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you - I have seen some Criterion sleeves that almost make you cry in their perfection - and others make you wonder who was in charge of the art department that day. I'm afraid I don't have the book, so I can't check on that for you - but I believe with you that the book cover must have been an inspiration...

    ReplyDelete