Friday 13 February 2015

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep ?

I've seen Blade Runner in all its various permutations over the years but only now am I getting around to reading Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? I've only scratched the surface of the book but the differences between Dick's novel and Scott's film are already considerable. However one line of dialogue from the book made me smile - during Dekard's first visit to Rosen Industries (or the Tyrell Corp in the film), Rachel remarks on the company's rare and highly coveted, live owl: "All our purchases are from private parties and the prices we pay aren't reported." She added, "Also we have our own naturalists; they're now working up in Canada. There's still a good deal of forest left, comparatively speaking, anyhow. Enough for small animals and once in a while a bird." As soon as I read the line I thought of Blade Runner's original ending where Dekard and Rachel have escaped Los Angeles for the more pleasant climes of Montana.... or perhaps Canada. The line I quoted above doesn't legitimize that disastrous ending the studio grafted onto the film, but for fans who still find some worth in this much maligned version of Blade Runner, it might make it at least bearable...

No comments:

Post a Comment