Thursday 19 February 2015

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Part Two)

My final post on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? which I finally finished last night. I read this book in fits and starts which I regret - the novel is short enough to read over the course of an afternoon and might have benefited more for it... Overall, I thought it was fine, it compares badly to Blade Runner - being one of my favorite films, Scott's picture could not be easily relegated to the back of my mind. My biggest dislike in the book was the Mercerism religion that's interwoven throughout the book - I felt this PKD's ideas on this point were vague and confused. Perhaps my favorite episode in the book - which is not in the film ironically enough - is when Pris pulls the legs off a spider just to see if it could still move, a very powerful and cruel moment that quite effectively stacks the deck against the runaway androids...

No comments:

Post a Comment