Tuesday 21 April 2015

Berberian Sound Studio

Revisited Berberian Sound Studio earlier and I enjoyed the film much more than my initial screening which left me a little underwhelmed. Now some two years later, the film feels much more substantial and rewarding. Watching the film again, I couldn't help but look for nods to Italian films - the film-within-a-film, The Equestrian Vortex feels like a cross between Black Sunday and Mark of the Devil re-written for the Demons generation, and there are some interesting parallels with Peter Strickland's film and Suspiria. But one film that came to mind was, oddly enough Videodrome, partly due to the shots of the antiquated electronic equipment I suspect, but more than that, I was reminded of something David Cronenberg said about his film which seemed to forge a link to Strickland's: "I wanted to posit the possibility that a man exposed to violent imagery would begin to hallucinate. I wanted to see what it would be like, in fact, if what the censors were saying would happen DID happen. What would it feel like ? What would it lead to ?"

No comments:

Post a Comment