Saturday 27 March 2010

A New Dimension in Crapness...

The thing is I wanted this to be good, but Friday the 13th 2009 is quite simply terrible. Announced as a remake/reboot of the franchise, the film is neither. In fact for the first half of the film, it could easily be Friday the 13th Part 11, but somehow the film actually winds up being a re thread of director Marcus Nispel 2003 remake of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, borrowing heavily from that film's visual aesthetic. More depressingly I actually liked that film but after wading thru Friday 2009, I may have to rethink my opinion of the Chain Saw remake. Its hardly worth going on, except to say this is ruined by New Line and Paramount's slavish devotion to a male teen audience who apparently want to see irritating teenage twenty-somethings drink beer out of a Nike sneaker before having their skulls machete'd. There's some meaty gore and some fine female flesh on show, but its just not enough. To end on a positive note, Friday the 13th 2009 at least makes Jason Takes Manhattan look like a masterpiece...

2 comments:

  1. Whew. Well, as a card carrying Ft13 nut - I thought this reboot was meh. It had some good stuff - Derek Mears being one of them - but you know what put the final nail in the coffin for me? The lack of Ki-Ki-Ki-Ma-Ma-Ma music. Stupid idea not to use the iconic series theme music. (However, I do think it's a better film than Jason Spends 20 Minutes in Manhattan - which ties with Jason Goes to Hell: The Not Even Close To Being The Final Friday as the nadir of the series for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, I hated this film so much, and I don't have that knee-jerk reaction to remakes - I'll take 'em as they come but this one, like the 2005 film of The Fog was a boil on the butt of humanity. It just seemed so... desperate...

    ReplyDelete