Sunday 26 July 2015

Three Resurrected Drunkards

Watched Three Resurrected Drunkards, Nagisha Oshima's 1968 film earlier today. Of all the films I've seen this w/end this is the one that's been ping-ponging around my brain all day, for, among other things the interesting parallels with the Monkees' film Head (which I posted about a few days ago). I'd be spinning you a line if I said I had a clear understanding of the politics of the film (Oshima's films much like Godard's are so of their time I feel footnotes are required), but the film is so bizarre, funny, playful and adventurous (there's a particularly inventive and disorientating device about 40mins in), that Three Resurrected Drunkards might well turn out to be the best film from the Oshima's Outlaw Sixties collection. Incidentally, I was fact-checking something in preparation for this post, and according to the Internet Movie Database, the film was released in Japan March 30th 1968 - just two months after Eddie Adams took his famous Saigon execution photograph on February 1st, heavily referenced in Oshima's film - if the IMDB date is correct, that's one incredibly short gestation period !

No comments:

Post a Comment