Wednesday 22 July 2015

Creepy

I should be making great strides thru Steve Thrower’s magnificent Jess Franco book but I’ve been alternating my reading sessions with a batch of Creepy comics courtesy of Dark Horse’s ongoing archival series. Each volume collects together 5 or 6 issues of the legendary Horror anthology, complete with the original cover artwork, letters page, ads and new forwards by the Creepy staff and appreciative fans. The illustrations are absolutely fantastic with vampires, werewolves, zombies, witches and other unspeakable monstrosities running riot across the pages, each story delivering a nasty twist in the tail much to the delight of the host Uncle Creepy. Of course I wasn’t around during Creepy’s original run from 1964 to February 1983 (recommencing in 2009) but reading these archives, I’m reminded of Gore Shriek and Dead World, two great Horror comics I read in the 90’s. I think a screening of Creepshow is required !

No comments:

Post a Comment