Wednesday 20 April 2016

Mellow Earth

Pictured below, a memorable shot from The Texas Chain Saw Massacre hitched to the sleeve of Earth's debut long-player... I'm currently listening to Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version and looking at the CD I wonder did Dylan Carlson have that memorable shot from Tobe Hooper's film in mind when selecting that image. I didn't hear Earth 2 when it first came out in 1993 but I remember well the puzzled reaction to the album, such was its radical minimalist take on Metal, not to mention the fact that Earth emerged from Seattle at the height of grunge. Sub Pop evidently knew it, and in what looks like a desperate sales pitch, the CD's rear sleeve has a handful of gushing blurbs from listeners tuning-in and turning-on to Earth's soporific sound - "Forget drugs and alcohol, I am now very, very mellow". Gazing at these giant blue skies I am too.


No comments:

Post a Comment