Thursday 23 June 2016

Scientist Wins The World Cup

I’m not a sports guy at all but I can appreciate a momentous win when I see one, and Ireland’s triumphant advancement to the knock-out stages of Euro 2016 has inspired this morning’s listening - one of Dub’s greatest engineers, Scientist and his 1982 collection Scientist Wins The World Cup - “Ten dangerous matches played by The Roots Radics Squad with Referee Junjo. Rhythm tracks laid at Channel One. Mixed at King Tubby's by Scientist”. First half kicks off here. I love the LP artwork by the Greensleeves label’s in-house designer and Oldham Athletic fan Tony McDermott, which has, in the best tradition of the Roy of the Rovers annual, the Jamaican team beating England 6-0. A nice blow-up of the artwork can be viewed here. Tony McDermott sounds like he has a bit of Irish in him somewhere, I wonder is he available for a kick-around on Sunday ?

No comments:

Post a Comment