Wednesday 23 December 2020

Still watching the skies ?

 "I've been getting messages from outer space, they spiral like a finger in the sky" says the paranoid narrator of Yo La Tengo's song Deeper Into Movies... I've been listening to YLT's 1997 album I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One this morning, and it's sent me down an unexpected path, looking at vintage UFO photographs. Not exactly a subject I'm terribly interested in (I've never seen an episode of the X Files), but like Ossian Brown's Haunted Air book, which collect old photographs of Halloween celebrations, some of these pictures have a genuinely eerie quality if one can look past the fakery. I wonder has the UFO subculture waned over the years, now that people are photographing and recording the world 24-7 with their phones ? I'm not looking to go down the rabbit hole of UFO Facebook groups and so on - these things become tedious very quickly, but I remember many years ago watching a program on one of Sky's public access channels about a UFO convention and it was weirdly fascinating to see so many nuts gathered in one place. Or perhaps, I misread the situation, and all these people were knowingly indulging in a fantasy. I'm not sure...


No comments:

Post a Comment