Thursday 10 December 2020

A dream of Dune

Some Moebius landscapes to get lost in... The new Dune film will be here soon I'm told (in a theatre/living room near you), but I'm not expecting much - the trailer makes it look like one of the recent Star Wars films, and I didn't much like Blade Runner 2049 either. Instead I'll grumpily cling to my utopian dream of Dune as a multi-million dollar, internationally produced, 5-hour animated film based on the design work of Team Jodorowsky: Moebius, Giger and Chris Foss. This will mean I’ll have to sacrifice my dream casting of Donald Trump as the Baron Harkonnen, but God, wouldn't it be great to be excited again by the promise of a huge animated sci-fi fantasy a la Akira back in the day ?

I've been listening to the Dune soundtrack this morning, that strange nexus where Toto, David "Pop the Cow" Lynch (as he's referred to in the dedications on the album), the Vienna Symphony Orchestra and Brian Eno meet. The author of the soundtrack's Wiki entry states Eno composed the Prophecy Theme for the film, but to me it sounds like music that was originally recorded for the Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks album, and later donated to Dune - it could certainly be used in any given moment during For All Mankind. The Wiki entry also says Eno "is rumored to have composed an entire earlier Dune soundtrack" which sounds rather fanciful - at least I've never heard of any such thing elsewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment